OPHELIA HORTON



What were you doing when you were a young thang? I have a vivid memory of my 13 year old self forcing my friends to act like reindeers while I took on the dominating role of Santa Clause. More embarrassing than cute, and definitely something I should never mention again. Maybe it has something to do with today's technology or horse meat being sold under the guise of nutritious cheeseburgerz but teens these days seem to be a lot cooler than I could ever hope to be. Example: Ophelia Horton. Ophelia started her blog 'who's that girl?' when she was 12 and has since been called England's answer to the popular Tavi Gevison aka The Style Rookie, been featured in various press including The Evening Standard and Grazia Magazine to name but a few, and somehow between studying and just general living, Ophelia contributes to The Pulp Zine.

Admittedly I was ready to write her off as a novelty of sorts when I first heard about her, but then I actually read her blog and started following her on twitter and quickly realised she's a clever, witty girl with the most fantastical wardrobe that I would like to send back in time to myself... please. Sharing her thoughts on everything from women's rights to photos of her friends to her favourite fashion looks, her blog is a fun read, and Ophelia is someone who definitely shouldn't be overlooked. With that said, go check her blog out now!

How did you first become interested in fashion and blogging? 
As a kid I was always really opinionated and independent when it came to dressing and picking clothes (velvet tops and stripy dungarees and lots of funky/trashy 2000 pieces of course) and I remember my mum always being a bit of a diva. My mum was a big fan of the online shopping store asos and their magazine used to come into the post every month. I used to do the typical routine of ‘I like that’ or ‘don’t like that’ as a kid and I became more and more interested in it all. I found out about Topshop aged 11 years old, just before Christmas and I ended up with a list full of the boring crop tops and popular checkered shirts etc. Of course my parents refused to buy me any of them so in the next Spring, when hearing that my sister’s friend had her own vintage fashion blog, I decided it would be the perfect way to mourn over my deprivation of nice clothes and combine my obsession with topshop and my knowledge from the asos magazines to write about trends. And on from there I went.

What are your top 3 things right now? Books, movies, music, fashion stuff, whatever! 
Books? I don't really read that much anymore to be honest, which is terrible, but there is this one book that I wanted to read and I can't even remember it ugh. I remember being a huge fan of the cherub books in year six, but since then I have read little more than blogs and rookiemag etc. Music? Urrrr I just have stuff from everywhere around really; I have been listening to 'Beautiful Girls' (by Sean Kingston?) because it keeps playing at parties and is getting into my head, Imagine Dragons, Darwin Deez, Beyonce, Grimes, Charlie xcx, there's so much. Fashion stuff? ahahah I dunno, everything I guess. 
What's the best thing about being young? What's the worst? 

Ohhh youth. Pros: squeezing into places, being cute, getting in to places free? I can’t thinkkk lol. Cons: people judging you, people stereotyping you, people not taking you seriously, and many more but of course I could never forget the classic look of distain.

You've mentioned before that you're a feminist - what does the word 'feminism' mean to you? 
To me a lot of it means choice, but also equality. In a way my feminism isn't very activist but more just trying to change the little things that are 'normal' like people catcalling and stuff like that, which goes unseen because 'it's not the 1940s' ugh. I wouldn't say I'm an expert at all, I still have so much to learn but yeah I don't really know what else to say. 
What are your hopes for the future? 

To have fun??? I literally have no idea

And finally, words to live by? 

poo poo poo 

No comments: